Back to previous
Maintenance of gas appliances
Landlords often provide gas fires and other gas-fired appliances. Your landlord must maintain any such appliance or installation pipework owned by her/him in a safe condition so as to prevent risk of injury to any person.1Reg 36(2) GS(IU) Regs Your landlord also has to ensure that each appliance is checked at least every 12 months by a registered gas engineer.2Reg 36(3)(a) GS(IU) Regs Your landlord must give you a copy of the gas safety record within 28 days of it being carried out or before you move in. If you have a social landlord, it is a term of your tenancy that you allow the landlord access to perform necessary safety checks and you risk court action if you prevent or obstruct entry.
Gas Safe Register is the statutory gas registration body in Great Britain. By law, all qualified gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register and carry a photo ID card with their licence number and the type of work they are qualified to do. The register is at or you can call 0800 408 5500.
1     Reg 36(2) GS(IU) Regs »
2     Reg 36(3)(a) GS(IU) Regs »