Back to previous
If you cannot attend court for a good reason, you may seek an adjournment. The application should only be made if you genuinely intend to contest the warrant application at a later date. Write a letter to the court making a request to allow an adjournment of the warrant application, to allow you to attend or be represented. In an emergency, if you cannot get to court, you may be able to obtain the adjournment by telephone. If you are in a vulnerable situation or circumstance, or if the disconnection is being investigated by an official body, there may be grounds for an adjournment on these grounds. Reasonable consideration should be given to an application to adjourn.
It is important not to leave the matter to the last minute. Act promptly yourself and, in cases where the energy company has failed to respond to representations, this should be put forward as a reason for the delay.
The court may also be willing to adjourn the hearing where there is a contradiction between the information contained in the summons or notice of hearing for the warrant and the evidence actually produced in court on behalf of the supplier.1s123(2) Magistrates’ Courts Act 1980
On attending court it may be possible to negotiate with the agent representing the supplier, and in some cases it may be possible to have the warrant application withdrawn on the day of the hearing. In some cases, simply attending court and being prepared to contest the warrant leads the supplier to withdraw the application.
You may represent yourself in court, be represented by a lawyer, or may be assisted by a ‘McKenzie friend’ (see here).
1     s123(2) Magistrates’ Courts Act 1980 »